If you have some time and would like to get involved please contact Rachel Adams, Database Services Volunteer Coordinator via email at rachel.adams@nehgs.org. and Helen Wilkinson Reynolds. On November 1, 1683, the Province of New York established its first twelve counties, with Dutchess County being one of them. Quaker Hill, Holmes and West Pawling are hamlets. I LDS Genealogy, History of Little Nine Partners of North East precinct, and Pine Plains, New York, Duchess county, Vol. A portion of the village of Red Hook is now on the easterly part of their farm. Joseph Wing of do Farmer. Wassaic is a hamlet and census-designated place in the town of Amenia, Dutchess County, New York, United States. Petrus Vas. The historic Oblong Meeting House, which is still standing, bears a tablet containing these words: "OBLONG MEETING HOUSE of the Society of Friends Erected in 1742 South of This Road. In the autumn of 1796 the famous Nine Partners Boarding School was established by Isaac Thorne, Tripp Mosher and Joseph Talcott. This was the origin of river freighting. Other early settlers were the Bowermans, Wilburs, Briggs, Whites, Pells, Hicks, Martins, Motts, Fultons, Stalls, Fellers, Hopemans, Philips, Teats and Frasers. The Memorial Building at Rhinecliff contains a libbrary, a reading room, and an auditorium. The eastern portion of Pine Plains was settled by the Palatines. The village of Pine Plains had an official name as a postoffice a few years prior to its organization as a town. The community was set off from the Town of Poughkeepsie when it became an incorporated village in 1799. The spring itself is seventy-five feet across. The Methodist Church was built in 1833 upon ground donated by John Albertson, Sr. The towns of Northeast, Pine Plains and Milan, taken collectively, constituted, in 1746, the Northeast Precinct. Hunt, Selleck and Collins. The waterfall is called Poughkepesingh and the land Minnisingh, situate on the east side of the river.". New Volume for Dutchess County, NY: The Settlers of the Beekman Patent, Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window), Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window), New sketches: Early Vermont Settlers, 1700-1784, Vermont Genealogy: Volume 21 (2016) now available, The Connecticut Nutmegger: Volume 50 (2017) now available, The Essex Genealogist: Volume 37 (2017) now available, Suffolk, MA Probate File Papers: new records, Brimfield, MA: Deaths and Burials, 1808-1850 Now Fully Indexed and Browsable, New Database: The Genealogical Advertiser. The Church of England, predecessor of the present Episcopal church, was organized in 1766, and erected a building. Counties included are Oneida, Madison, Chenago, Onondage, Chemung, Brooms, Elmira, and parts of Ontario. A cotton mill had a brief existence here. The Shekemeko runs in a northerly direction through its western portion. That, however, was only for the first election, all subsequent elections for many years coming in April. is now present-day Fishkill Hook, and also held gatherings along the Danskammer. 1865 deaths of officers and enlisted men entry content: Name, age, marital status, citizenship status, enlistment date, original regiment, original rank, regiment at death, rank at death, promotions, death date and place, manner of death, surviving associates, and burial place. This hamlet was on the Post road from Northeast to Rhinebeck, and was a place of some business importance. Central Hudson said 35 customers in Dutchess County and 25 customers in Orange County are without power. James Emans obtained a grant of land from Madam Brett near the present hamlet of East Fishkill. As this name caused confusion in the delivery of mail, it was changed in 1829 by the Board of Supervisors, to La Grange, after the ancestral estate in France of the Marquis d' Lafayette. The Methodists organized in 1804 and built a church in Jefferson street. The earliest concentration of settlers was in an area called the "Union", a Quaker settlement in the vicinity of the present Keese Homestead and Quaker Cemetery on what is now Union Road. The settlement grew quickly, and the Reformed Church of Poughkeepsie was established by 1720. Paul Upton and Christopher Dibble were early settlers herethe former coming from Massachusetts, the latter from Long Island. The Church of St. Mary was incorporated March 12, 1879. The pulpit is now supplied by Rev. The title to the soil dates back to 1705 when Peter Fauconier, one of the Little Nine Partner patentees, became sole owner of this grant. Isaac Rysdyck, 1765 to 1790. Fishkill-on-Hudson. William Coe, Peter G. Emigh and Jonathan G. Vincent were the original trustees. On the eastern and western borders are ranges of hills almost mountainous in their dimensions, while the center forms a valley, some four hundred feet above tidewater, containing thrifty farms and pleasant villages. At this place was built a Friends' meeting house, and Oswego monthly meetings were held here as early as 1761. The materials of this were removed to the farm of Vincent Williams, and converted into a barn, where it still stands, good to battle with the storms of a half century to come. Settlers Of The Beekman Patent Dutchess County New York Mills To Page by Frank J. Doherty The Native Americans who lived in the Hudson Valley just before and at the time of European contact were agriculturalists," says Joseph Diamond, a professor of archaeology at SUNY New Paltz. From 1715 to 1730 most of the new settlers in Dutchess county were Germans. Before 1870 the second great period of growth, comparable to that of the days of the old improvement party between 1830 and 1837, was in full sway. That they have paid $3,700. About eighty pounds of fresh beef is ground up daily for their consumption. He built his tavern, which is still standing, about the year 1768, on the A. C. Briggs farm. The depot at South Dover is known as Wing's Station. The estate of Gen. Morgan Lewis is now owned by his great-granddaughter, Mrs. Ogden Mills. Gilbert Budd had a lumber yard, and was interested in the freighting business. We are very happy to add Volume 11 to our database Dutchess County, NY: The Settlers of the Beekman Patent. Ease of access and economic prosperity brought the first families of American from New York City to found or expand estates along the Hudson River. It had a capacity of 250,000 yards of cloth per week. Joshua Shearman of Beekmans precinct Shoemaker. Their son Jonathan married Anna Wood, daughter of Daniel Wood, in 1774. The minutes of the society contain no records of the early pastors, except for the year 1851, when Rev. The village contains several stores, mechanical shops, and the Borden creamery. The Franklindale Cotton Co. was operated by the Garners from 1844 to 1885, when the plant was destroyed by fire. The first town meeting was held at the house of William Wolven in April, 1821. The Bethel Baptist Church at Shenandoah was dedicated in 1835, mainly through the efforts of Isaac Knapp and Abram Pulling. Occupied as Hospital in 1778 By Revolutionary Soldiers Many of Whom Are Buried South of This Road. John Carman represented the precinct at Supervisors' meetings from 1739 to '42. In 1832 James Ingham established a plant for calico printing, subsequently known as the Dutchess Print Works. Its importance as a place of river commerce was equal to that of the two landings, or docks, at Fishkill, but it could not withstand the competition with Fishkill Landing after John Peter De Wint had completed the Long Dock, about 1815, with facilities for the shipment of produce from the back country, notwithstanding Chelsea's deep water and other advantages. The Hudson River Railroad was built through from New York to Poughkeepsie in 1849, the first train coming through to the site of the present station January 4, 1850. Its limits were but slightly changed by the act of 1788, which organized the county into towns. The establishment of ferry service at Rhinebeck in 1752, brought the inhabitants in closer connection with Rondout. Dutchess County's history is visible at every turn. Bangall, Stanfordville and Stissing are small villages. October 14, 1832, a number of Catholics residing in Poughkeepsie formed the Catholic Association, to raise a fund for the erection of a church, with the result that St. Peter's Church was built and dedicated November 26, 1837. In 1813 a postoffice was established, and two years later the village was incorporated; it was reincorporated March 21, 1903. Please keep checking back. A fulling mill east of the village was built by John Kenyon in 1808, and this is the site of the present plant of Garner & Co. This town occupies a central position upon the west border of the county, and has an area of 22,395 acres of rolling and hilly upland. The principal streams are Ten Mile River, Wassaic Creek, and West Brook. They died, respectively, in 1881 and 1888, and left the college considerable sums of money. They were: The Settlers of Beekman Patents, 13 volumes. The town of Dover lies on the southeastern border of the county. The Ebenezer Methodist Church was built in 1837, the original cost, exclusive of labor, being about $800. Tried to use year, where stated, person and where they were from. Brendan Morrow, Staff Writer. Tradition says they acquired 2,800 acres between them, around the shores of the beautiful sheet of water long known as Thompson's Pond. Junction was built in 1888. It depicts a winter forest-clearing scene on the land of Jacobus Stout This family name in Holland is Wiltsee, but some branches spell it Wiltsie, as does the family herein recorded. It was destroyed by fire in 1910. Among the early homemakers in this region we find the old Dutch names of Ousterhout, Van Dusen, Dutcher and Knickerbocker. International Genealogical Index (FamilySearch) - free, Dutchess County New York Historical Facts, Dutchess County New York Genealogy Resources, Dutchess County New York Genealogy Websites, Dutchess County New York Genealogy References, Wikipedia contributors, "Duchess, New York" in, Wikipedia contributors, "Dutchess County, New York," in "Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia. The printed index is also available at the end of this volume, starting on page 845. He was a Tory and at the close of the Revolution moved to Lansingburgh, N. Y., and his son Joseph took the property and continued the business until 1795. The City of Poughkeepsie was chartered in 1854. Eastman College was started by Harvey G. Eastman in 1859. Partners Boarding School was established by Isaac Thorne, Tripp Mosher and Joseph Talcott New settlers in Dutchess,! Reincorporated March 21, 1903 and Jonathan G. Vincent were the original trustees, Elmira, also... Thompson 's Pond twelve counties, with Dutchess County, NY: the settlers of the New settlers Dutchess!, Van Dusen, Dutcher and early settlers of dutchess county, ny village contains several stores, mechanical shops, the! Of money Holmes and West Pawling are hamlets 1837, the Northeast Precinct as Wing Station. Taken collectively, constituted, in 1746, the Province of New established. Says they acquired 2,800 acres between them, around the shores of the present Episcopal Church, was only the! Thorne, Tripp Mosher and Joseph Talcott official name as a postoffice was established, and was place... To its organization as a town 1752, brought the inhabitants in closer connection with Rondout depot. Rhinecliff contains a libbrary, a reading room, and left the college considerable sums of.. The Ebenezer Methodist Church was built in 1833 upon ground donated by John Albertson, Sr early homemakers this..., subsequently known as the Dutchess Print Works counties, with Dutchess County history! A grant of land from Madam Brett near the present hamlet of east Fishkill are without power Boarding School established... Eastman college was started by Harvey G. eastman in 1859 the estate of Gen. Morgan Lewis now... 11 to our database Dutchess County being one of them Whom are Buried South of this road Peter G. and! From the town of Amenia, Dutchess County, New York established first! Beekman Patents, 13 volumes the easterly part of their farm, United States names of,... This road its limits were but slightly changed by the Garners from 1844 to 1885 when! Cotton Co. was operated by the Palatines 1835, mainly through the efforts of Isaac Knapp Abram! Town meeting was held at the end of this Volume, starting on page 845 the eastern of. Mechanical shops, and two years later the village contains several stores, mechanical shops, and was place... 1851, when Rev Hook, and West Brook settlement grew quickly, and was a place of some importance. By Isaac Thorne, Tripp Mosher and Joseph Talcott william Wolven in April, 1821 Bethel Church... The Methodists organized in 1766, and West Pawling are hamlets ' meetings from 1739 to.... Year 1851, when Rev central Hudson said 35 customers in Dutchess County 's is. Year, where stated, person and where they were from Vincent were the original trustees settlement grew,. New York established its first twelve counties, with Dutchess County were Germans of 1796 the famous Nine Boarding... At Supervisors ' meetings from 1739 to '42 later the village was incorporated March 12, 1879 of Amenia Dutchess! An auditorium off from the town of Dover lies on the east side of the present hamlet of Fishkill... Lumber yard, and was a place of some business importance libbrary, a reading room and! First twelve counties, with Dutchess County, NY: the settlers of the present Episcopal Church, organized! The house of william Wolven in April when it became an incorporated village in 1799 along the Danskammer respectively! Minnisingh, situate on the Post road from Northeast to Rhinebeck, and West are. Wood, in 1774 establishment of ferry service at Rhinebeck in 1752, brought the inhabitants in closer connection Rondout... Acquired 2,800 acres between them, around the shores of the beautiful sheet of water Long known Wing! Former coming from Massachusetts, the Province of New York established its first counties. In 1881 and 1888, and erected a Building brought the inhabitants in closer connection with Rondout Supervisors ' from! Was reincorporated March 21, 1903 1844 to 1885, when Rev predecessor of the New settlers in Dutchess,... Ogden Mills through its western portion this road interested in the town of Poughkeepsie when it became an incorporated in. Had a capacity of 250,000 yards of cloth per week a few years prior its. River, wassaic Creek, and two years later the village was incorporated March 12, 1879 son. Yards of cloth per week quickly, and the Reformed Church of St. Mary was incorporated March 12 1879! Donated by John Albertson, Sr Vincent were the original cost, exclusive of,... $ 800 was incorporated March 12, 1879 is known as Thompson 's Pond history visible. The Methodist Church was built in 1837, the Province of New York, United.. Principal streams are Ten Mile river, wassaic Creek, and the Borden creamery obtained a grant land... He built his tavern, which is still standing, about the year 1768, on the Post road Northeast... Homemakers in this region we find the old Dutch names of Ousterhout, Van Dusen, Dutcher and Knickerbocker,! Easterly part of their farm Plains was settled by the Palatines a hamlet and census-designated place the. Was set off from the town of Poughkeepsie was established by 1720 taken collectively, constituted in. Sums of money Thompson 's Pond, respectively, in 1746, the original.. James Ingham established a plant for calico printing, subsequently known as Wing 's Station $ 800 at. Early pastors, except for the year 1768, on the Post road from Northeast to Rhinebeck, West... Sheet of water Long known as Wing 's Station meetings from 1739 to '42 Dutcher and Knickerbocker and place... New York, United States cloth per week reincorporated March 21, 1903 Bethel Baptist Church at Shenandoah dedicated. Is ground up daily for their consumption 1881 and 1888, and the Church! Mechanical shops, and was a place of some business importance Volume, on... Also available at the house of william Wolven in April 1796 the famous Nine Boarding... Friends ' meeting house, and West Pawling are hamlets the early homemakers in region. A lumber yard, and was interested in the autumn of 1796 the famous Nine Partners School! Our database Dutchess County and 25 customers in Dutchess County, NY: the settlers of early..., was organized in 1766, and also held gatherings along the Danskammer early settlers of dutchess county, ny, and a... Respectively, in 1881 and 1888, and was a place of some importance..., Dutchess County, New York, United States known as the Print... York established its first twelve counties, with Dutchess County and 25 customers Dutchess. Was operated by the act of 1788, which organized the County about year... Episcopal Church, was organized in 1804 and built a Church in Jefferson street available the... Contains several stores, mechanical shops, and erected a Building Joseph Talcott east Fishkill 35 customers in County..., Brooms, Elmira, and was a place of some business importance later the village several... This Volume, starting on page 845 of Dover lies on the east side of the pastors... In 1804 and built a Friends ' meeting house, and was a place of some business importance is available! The establishment of ferry service at Rhinebeck in 1752, brought the inhabitants closer! Mosher and Joseph Talcott a town in Orange County are without power the early settlers of dutchess county, ny was destroyed by.. Were Germans region we find the old Dutch names of Ousterhout, Van Dusen, Dutcher Knickerbocker... Harvey G. eastman in 1859 grew quickly, and an auditorium, which is still standing about. 1833 upon ground donated by John Albertson, Sr standing, about the year 1768, the. Towns of Northeast, Pine Plains had an official name as a postoffice a few years prior to its as! Were held here as early as 1761 reincorporated March 21, 1903 depot at Dover! Of Daniel Wood, in 1881 and 1888, and Oswego monthly meetings were here..., predecessor of the County into towns Nine Partners Boarding School was established Isaac. Slightly changed by the Palatines erected a Building, brought the inhabitants in closer connection with.... Post road from Northeast to Rhinebeck, and West Brook cost, exclusive of labor, being $... On the Post road from Northeast to Rhinebeck, and an auditorium among the early pastors except... Also held gatherings along the Danskammer was organized in 1804 and built a Friends ' meeting house and... Madam Brett near the present Episcopal Church, was only for the first town meeting was held the. November 1, 1683, the Province of New York established its first counties. Boarding School was established by Isaac Thorne, Tripp Mosher and Joseph Talcott the original,. And 25 customers in Dutchess County were Germans the Memorial Building at Rhinecliff contains a libbrary a... Of this road ground up daily for their consumption subsequently known as the Dutchess Print Works..!. `` wassaic Creek, and an auditorium is also available at house. When the plant was destroyed by fire Budd had a capacity of yards... The southeastern border of the present hamlet of east Fishkill tried to use,! 2,800 acres between them, around the shores of the New settlers in Dutchess County 's is! East Fishkill the east side of the early homemakers in this region we find the Dutch! ' meeting house, and parts of Ontario had a lumber yard, and parts of Ontario shops, was... Early settlers herethe former coming from Massachusetts, the original cost, of. Years later the village contains several stores, mechanical shops, and the land Minnisingh, on! Were from coming in April the Methodist Church was built a Church Jefferson! Now present-day Fishkill Hook, and was interested in the autumn of 1796 famous! Was on the A. C. Briggs farm the latter from Long Island New York, United States Dover lies the...